Renting Tips for Tenants
The following information should help you if you're renting for the first time.
- It’s a good idea to make a short list of preferred areas that will suit your requirements, including schools, shops, transport and lifestyle.
- Establish a budget that you are comfortable with and can afford to pay.
- Research rentals in your preferred areas using the internet and press advertisements to gain a better idea of rental values and what is available in your areas of choice.
- Attend home inspections, you are welcome to come along and meet a Cairns Platinum Realty Agent.
- When you find a property that suits your needs and you are ready to make an application to lease, you will be required to complete a tenancy application form. Please ensure you attach the required identification requested on the application form when applying.
- Your application will be processed using a series of tenancy checks and then presented to the owner for approval along with any others that have been received. You will be notified within 24 – 48 hours as to whether or not your application has been successful.
- If your application is successful, we will arrange a time with you to sign a lease and to go through the lease step by step, so that you understand all the clauses within the contract before you sign. Once all parties have signed and dated the lease, a copy will be given to you.
- You are also required to pay the following amounts when signing the lease and sign a Bond Lodgement Form: Two weeks rent in advance. The equivalent of four weeks rent for the bond, which is held by ‘Residential Tenancy Authority’ (RTA) in case of any damage made to the property during the tenancy. If, when you leave the property, you have met all the requirements requested in the lease agreement, and it is in the same condition as when you moved in, minus wear and tear, this bond is fully refundable.
- Make sure you update your contents insurance and notify all the relevant authorities as to your change of address. Also organise your electricity, telephone, gas, internet and removalists. Please note: we have a ‘free utility connection service’ and can arrange all this for you. We will ask you if you require this service when signing your lease.
- If at the expiry of your lease agreement, you do not wish to renew, after giving the required notice to vacate your tenancy will come to an end, where you must vacate the premises and return the keys to your Property Manager on the required day. You will be charged rent until your keys are returned to our office, so please ensure that keys are returned on time. Your property manager will then complete a final bond inspection. If no faults/cleaning is applicable, you will be required to sign a bond disposal form to withdraw your security bond to be returned/refunded to you.
Most importantly you can rely on a Cairns Platinum Realty Agent to guide you through the whole process: It is part of our service.